Access thousands of online resources through the C/W MARS digital catalog. Browse the juvenile nonfiction collection here.
The following resources are available to you with your Gaylord Memorial Library Card. Click here to browse all free online databases.
As a Massachusetts resident, you are also eligible for a Boston Public Library e-card. You can sign up for a card remotely, and access a wealth of free online resources, including Mango Languages, Lynda.com, and Hoopla Streaming Media here.
- Britannica Escolar
Spanish-language encyclopedia designed for younger students and those learning the language.
- Encyclopedia Britannica for Children (Grades K-8)
A great place to begin research projects! Explore the world atlas, animal facts, and more!
- Kids InfoBits (Grades K-5)
A kid-friendly interface to find information about animals, geography, science, and more!
- Research in Context (Grades 6-8)
Created specifically for middle school students, contains age-appropriate videos, newspapers, magazines, primary sources, and much more. Categories cover a range of the most-studied topics in middle school including cultures, government, people, U.S. and world history, literature, and many more.
Newspapers & Magazines
The following resources are available free to Massachusetts residents through the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
- The Boston Globe
- Full text coverage from 1980 to today.
- The New York Times
- Full text coverage from 1985 to today.
- Popular Magazines
- Browse over 1,000 popular magazines, including National Geographic Kids; Faces: People, Places, and Cultures; Highlights for Children; Ranger Rick; and Calliope.
- A-Z List of Publications
- Browse or search for a specific journal or magazine by title.
- BJ Pinchbeck’s Homework Help
- Compilation of resources on a variety of subjects, including English, foreign languages, math, and science.
- Find new books to read, write reviews and reports, and share books you love with others.
- BrainPOP Jr.
- Kid-friendly interface featuring activities about math, science, health, reading, writing, and more! Also available for French and Spanish speakers and for English language learners.
- Learn to code with free tutorials.
- Explore facts, videos, quizzes, and more from the publishers of the popular reference series.
- Fact Monster
- Dictionary, encyclopedia, almanac, homework help, trivia games, and quizzes.
- Reading and math games, organized by grade level.
- Google Interland
- Games about Internet safety designed for kids and caregivers to play and discuss together.
- Great Websites for Kids
- The Association for Library Service to Children’s collection of kid-friendly websites on an assortment of topics.
- Information Please Almanac
- Browse by section, explore this day in history, encyclopedia, atlas, dictionary, and more.
- Khan Academy
- Practice exercises and instructional videos on everything from art history to computer programming.
- Kids Spell
- Practice spelling with activities organized by grade, reading level, and subject area.
- National Geographic Kids
- Facts, photos, videos, and games all about the natural world around us.
- PBS Kids
- Games, music, coloring pages, and videos featuring your favorite PBS characters.
- Word Central by Merriam-Webster
- Build your own dictionary, play spelling and word games, and search by dictionary, thesaurus, and rhyming.